CLI Shortcut keys in Junos and Cisco IOS
It is always time consuming and tedious to type the full command word in command line interface (CLI) based environments repeatedly. It is better to know the CLI shortcut keys in Junos and Cisco IOS of command word to edit, remove and add the command word and letters in CLI. it increases productivity and efficiency of user. I post Here the some shortcut keys.
There are many CLI utility tools. Tera term, PuTTY , Secure terminal etc are the open source utilities for CLI environments.
Keyboard shortcut Keys in Junos and Cisco IOS and Explanation
Ctrl+u or Ctrl+x Used to erase the whole line of command
Ctrl+w or Esc/Alt+Backspace Used to erase the left side word of cursor of the command
Ctrl+a Used to go to beginning of line Command line
- Ctrl+e Used to go to end of line
- Ctrl+f Used to forward the position of cursor from current position of cursor
Esc+f or Alt+f Used to move the cursor forward one word
- Ctrl+b Used to backward the position of cursor from the current position of cursor
- Esc+b or Alt+b Used to Move the cursor back one word
- Ctrl+d Used to delete the characters at the cursor
- Ctrl+k Used to delete all the characters from the cursor to the end of the command line
- Delete/backspace or Ctrl+h Used to Delete character before the cursor
- Up/Down Arrow Used to Redraw previously run command
- Ctrl+y Used to insert the most recently deleted characters at the cursor
- Ctrl+l used to redraw the current line
- Ctrl+p Used to scroll the backward through the list of recently executed command
Ctrl+n Used to scroll the forkward through the list of recently executed command
These shortcut keys are very handy in CLI environments. It can be used in Juniper‘s OS Junos and Cisco‘s IOS command line as well as with other cli environments.
The TAB/Space-bar key of keyboard can be used to auto complete the command word after typing the first two to three letter for unique command word. In case of similarity of first one to more letter command word, type the letter until the unique letter of command word.